GILL WRIGHT - REFLECTING A LOVE OF NATURE

Gill Wright

 



 "My forms at present are coiled and informed by life drawing as well as the landscape..
 


Moving to Somerset has given me the opportunity to enjoy and respond to the landscape that surrounds my studio.














 A discovery of a discarded bisqued casserole base by the maker who lived nearby triggered my interest in handmade objects. I was 10 years old and kept that unglazed pot for many years along with other found treasures.

I have always been interested in making things but it was much later, in Adult Education classes, that I handled clay and determined that was where my future lay.

I learnt to throw on a Youth Opportunities Scheme and was encouraged to apply for a College course. Three happy years followed at Croydon College where we had access to inspiring tutors. 



Antler Form by Gill Wright
I have been lucky in having had studios in beautiful surroundings, feeding my love of nature which I try to reflect in my work.

Moving to Somerset has given me the opportunity to enjoy and respond to the landscape that surrounds my studio.



The forms and textures around me inspire my passion for the tactile qualities of clay, which dictates whether slabbing or coiling is required to create the forms in response to the landscape and what is in it.

My forms at present are coiled and informed by life drawing as well as the landscape.



Gill Wright





 I have always been interested in making things but it was much later, in Adult Education classes, that I handled clay and determined that was where my future lay.

I have been lucky in having had studios in beautiful surroundings, feeding my love of nature which I try to reflect in my work.

 
 









I am using Stoneware and a limited range of oxides and underglaze colours, and terra sigillata and fire in an electric kiln.

This may change. It depends where the clay takes me."



Gill Wright 2018





Comments

Popular Posts