Lesley Risby | A maker since a young age

"I took to it [clay] immediately and thus started a passion which quickly took over a large part of my life.

 I have been a maker since a young age, exploring various media and techniques (many of which have proved to be transferable to my current work). However, it wasn’t until after I’d had my family and was working full time as an Occupational Therapist in a busy Social Services department, that I started looking for a relaxing activity at evening classes at the local High school. This was when I discovered clay. I took to it immediately and thus started a passion which quickly took over a large part of my life.

It was while I was studying at Westminster that I started to develop the techniques which I continue to use today.





I needed to develop my skills further and I found that Brunel University had a Ceramic department for the students, which was also open to the general public. They ran evening classes and more intensive weekend courses in specific ceramic techniques and participation in these classes moved me forward. Looking for a more structured course led me to the City and Guilds course at Harrow College, which gave me the skills and confidence to apply for a place on the honours degree course in ceramics at the University of Westminster, Harrow. It was while I was studying at Westminster that I started to develop the techniques which I continue to use today. The exceptional teaching that I received from all of the tutors at the above institutions helped me broaden my horizons and has enabled me to fulfil some of my dreams.





Since graduating in 2006 I now work from my small workshop at home in northwest London."


Lesley Risby 2018

Comments

Popular Posts